The Blue Coat
School was established
towards the end of the 17th century, to provide children of poor
families with an education free of charge.
Blue Coat comes from the colour of the uniform worn by the children.
supported by private contributors and collections at a special service at St
Matthews Church called “Wake Sunday”. We remember “Wake Sunday” with our own
annual service “Blue Coat Sunday”. When all three schools join together at St
Matthews in celebration.
Coat School has had many homes during its time in Walsall.
school was housed in The Cross Chamber which the Mayor granted as a school room
in 1776. I t remained there until the building was demolished in 1800. The
school consisted of 24 boys and16 girls.
then moved to premises adjoining the George
Hotel, which is where
Tesco’s is today.
a second storey was added to the building. The school could then accommodate
140 boys and 160 girls. Education was provided free for 50 children and 40
uniform were given.
the buildings became unsafe and the school was in borrowed buildings.
the building repaired and enlarged. Now 228 girls and 228 boys could attend
school, 223 free places were provided with the others paying 1 penny a week.
new building in St Pauls close was the new home for Blue Coat. This was where
the bus station now is. In 1884 older children could now attend the school.
abolished for younger children in 1891.
building was officially named Blue
the building was closed and became the bus station. The Junior School
moved into the vicarage in Hanch place. The Infants moved to Bath street a council building.
the governors decided to build a new building. In 1965 the new building in Birmingham Street
was completed for the senior’ school. The juniors moved into new premises on
Springhill road and the infants moved to Hanch Place.
you attend this school?
have any special memories or information regarding the history of the building?
If so, we
would be happy to hear it?
contact the school using the contact information on this website.